Who do we serve?

The Southern Nevada Nonprofit Information Center exists to help local nonprofits as well as individuals who are in the process of starting a nonprofit organization. In addition, we do assist students looking to fund their education.

What is a nonprofit organization?

A nonprofit organization is formed for the purpose of serving a scientific, literary, education, artistic or charitable purpose and not for the pursuit or accumulation of profits. A nonprofit is not a way for ordinary businesses -- or people -- to shield assets or avoid paying income tax. It is not an alternative business form for any regular type of business.

How do I start a nonprofit organization?

Starting a nonprofit organization takes time and effort. It is not something that can be done in a weekend.

Some essential ingredients in starting a successful nonprofit include, but are not limited to a vital mission, high-quality, responsive and unduplicated programs or services and reliable and diverse financial revenue.

A nonprofit organization is a separate legal entity, created by filing articles of incorporation with the Nevada Secretary of State. For more information on what is required, see Nevada Secretary of State Registration Packet to register a Nonprofit Corporation.

How do I get money to help my nonprofit organization?

Foundation Directory Online is our searchable database that provides comprehensive and accurate information on U.S. funders and their grants. This database is available from a public computer located within Clark County Library.


How do I get tax-exempt status?

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for the purpose of serving a scientific, literary, education, artistic or charitable purpose. In addition, none of its earnings may be returned to any private shareholder or individual. Additionally, it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

A nonprofit organization applies for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Please note that it can take 3-12 months for the IRS to return its decision. For more information, see Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.


What is a 990?

The IRS requires that the majority of tax-exempt organizations file an annual informational return using one of three versions of Form 990. For more information, see Internal Revenue Service - Form 990 Resources and Tools.

How do I access the Foundation Directory Online?

The Southern Nevada Nonprofit Information Center offers the Foundation Directory Online Professional in person at the Clark County Library.. There is no charge to access this database. This database can only be used in the library.


Where can I find information on corporate giving?

The Foundation Center offers detailed information including a webinar, a interactive tutorial and in-person class. To get started view The Foundation Center's website.


Where can I find information about government grants?

The majority of government grants are awarded to eligible nonprofit organizations, not to individuals. Government grants nearly always have stiff reporting requirements. Careful record keeping is a must, since an audit is always a possibility.

Individuals looking for government grants and loans should visit GovBenefits.gov. GovBenefits.gov is the official government benefits website, encompassing more than 400 federal and 600 state programs funded by various agencies. This site allows you to complete a confidential questionnaire and receive a list of programs that may apply to your situation.


How do I write a grant proposal?

Visit The Foundation Center's - Proposal Writing.

Where can I find money to start my own business?

Visit The Foundation Center's - Where can I find funding to start a business?

Where can I get money to pay for schooling?

Visit The Foundation Center's -

Where can I find help with emergency housing costs, medical bills or personal debt?

Most forms of assistance for housing, medical bills or personal debt will come from charitable organizations or government assistance programs, rather than grants from foundations. Researching the few foundations that provide emergency funding to individuals takes time.

Immediate resources for funding can be obtained at local government agencies, organizations, and gifts or loans from generous individuals. You might also contact your elected officials to ask about government-sponsored or other programs for which you may be eligible.

Please visit any Las Vegas-Clark County Library District branch for more information.